What is Newham ESOL Exchange?
Newham ESOL Exchange is a network of people and organisations working together to improve English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) in Newham. The Exchange was established in 2008 with a recognition that ESOL provision across the borough was disorganised and often disjointed. The Exchange network wanted to improve this as they saw how difficult it was for newly arrived or migrant communities to navigate around available support for jobs, education and health. Today, the Exchange works with voluntary, community, statutory and private organisations and individual tutors to achieve this aim. Until May 2019 the Exchange was managed by Aston-Mansfield's Community Involvement Unit, with the closure of this unit this role has now passed on to Compost London.
Newham ESOL Exchange delivers a range of services across the network to improve the experience of learners in the borough. These include:
- Raising awareness of issues and trends related to ESOL services and provision.
- Facilitating information sharing and collaboration with services relevant to ESOL learners. This has included schools, health services, and the job centre.
- Producing resources for those supporting ESOL learners.
- Managing an online directory of ESOL classes.
- Delivering an affordable Continuing Professional Development programme for tutors and volunteers.
- Running a number of meetings and events throughout the year, so that network members can grow and strengthen their relationships.
A single point of assessment.
From 2019 Newham ESOL Exchange is currently working on an exciting programme to implement a new model for assessment across the borough. The model involves a single point of assessment, with ESOL providers across the borough signing up to a central service. This will mean that learners can be signposted quickly and effectively to the most relevant class, course or provision for them.
The model has been inspired by and will replicate elements of the Hackney Model for assessment. You can watch a short video about the Hackney Model on YouTube.
The exchange has been funded to take inspiration from this model and adapt it, where neccessary, to work for Newham learners and providers. This work will start in July 2019 and run through to summer 2020.
If you would like to find out more about the exchange, join its membership, or find out more about the single point of assessment project; you can email us on email@example.com or use our contact form.
Administrator: single point of assessment project.
We are currently recruiting for an administrator role to support our single point of assessment project. The role will be supporting the Project Manager and directors on a daily basis and will be responsible for managing and running reports from a database. Application is by submitting your CV and a covering letter explaining how you would be suitable for the post. **The closing date for application is Sunday 4th August 2019**
- Job Description and Person Specification: Administrator: Newham ESOL Exchange (ESOL Assessment project).
- Job Advert: Job Advert Newham ESOL Exchange Administrator.